Thursday, March 22, 2012

Walking With Wholeness

I've been asked to speak to a group women this Sat.  I eagerly said yes because I was complimented to be asked, and felt confident that I had something to share.  But, here it is Thursday, and I am realizing that I probably have nothing at all to share that will be of value.

The theme of the day is, "Walking With Wholeness."  Ironic, I thought, since walking is such an issue in our home.   Next month it will be 3 years since my husband fell off a ladder and dramatically changed our lives.  Walking in any form has been a lofty dream.  Walking with wholeness, well, that would be asking just way too much.  So, a few days ago I presented the topic to the men in my life, Jed and Ubaldo.  At breakfast we sat at the table and talked about "walking" and about "wholeness."  It was enriching. 

We talked about walking.  Does it mean putting one foot in front of the other?  Or does it mean moving through life?  We talked about wholeness.  What makes us whole?  How do we know when we're whole?  What is the opposite of whole?  Good discussion and good people to discuss with. 

We're just coming out of what I am referring to as, "a very dark winter."  It was dark because Jed, having gained tremendous skills through tenacity and patience over the 2 1/2 years, lost almost all his skills because of shingles and then pnenomia.  Our very dark winter was spent with him in bed for almost 10 weeks, thus losing all he had gained over 2 1/2 years of work and rehabilitation.  It was hard for him.  It was hard for Ubaldo.  It was hard for me.  We went from walking practice to monitoring temperature and fluids.  A grim winter indeed.  Whole? 

But, now it's Spring.  The Very Dark Winter is past.  Jed is committed to recovering what he once had and it's coming back quicker than the original stuggle.  He's not walking.  He was, but he's not now.  But he is whole.  He's whole in his soul.  He knows whoes he is.  He's comfortable with his relationship with God.  And, even though he is not presently putting one foot in front of the other, he is indeed "Walking With Wholeness."  Tonight Ubaldo said, Jed is the most "whole" man I've ever met.  And he is.  So, maybe I do have something to share. 


No comments:

Post a Comment